A Guide to Succeeding as a Content Writer
I want to be a content writer. How do I start?
What do you mean by content writing?
What skills does a content writer need?
A quick online search will tell you that it’s not just proficiency in grammar that can propel your content writing career forward. It is merely the starting point.
Here are the top 8 skills you need to have to make it as a content writer
- Research Skills
- Basic SEO
- Organizational Skills
- Delivering Quality
- Deadline Management
- Editing Skills
How to upgrade your skills as a content writer
- IIEDM in Mumbai.
- Digital Academy 360 in Bangalore.
- Udemy Content Writing Online Course.
- The Brand Salon in Mumbai.
- Grammarly Premium – for grammar
- CopyScape – to check plagiarism
- Hemingway – for better readability
- Trello – for project management
- CoSchedule – Headline analyzer
- Hubspot – Blog Topic Generator
- SEMRush – Keyword research
- Keywords Anywhere – Chrome extension for search volume
Do I find a niche or just write what I am told to?
Growing your personal brand
- Create a portfolio and know where your strengths lie.
- Advertise your services through your LinkedIn profile
- Become active on social media
- Consider sharing your work on platforms like Medium
- Network with other writers and potential clients.
Content Marketing: The Next Step
After achieving some success as a content writer, you could probably look at becoming a content marketer. A content marketer comes up with strategies to grow traffic, increase sales and brand awareness. Not only do they have to create content from scratch but they also have to ensure that there is a consistent brand voice across all platforms.
The entire content creation process – from keyword research to the finished piece complete with design – is the responsibility of a content marketer. You also have to think about how different content works for different platforms, the target audience and stay up to date with the latest SEO strategies.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I start content writing at home?
For a ton of freelancers, content writing is a way to generate extra income without having to work a full-time job. To start content writing at home, you must first have a strong portfolio.
Even if you’ve never been published before, you should have at least 5 samples that you can produce when asked for it.
Use sites like Freelancer, UpWork or Fiverr to find work and write a professional pitch that explains what you can do for them.
Is content writing a good career?
Content writing is thriving as an industry. As long as there are people, they will want to read content. Although videos and visual content have become a better way of marketing, content is needed even in these cases. Videos require scripts. Visual content like infographics also require content.